Sunday, October 9, 2011

Drew's First Year of Football

One football game left before Drew's football season comes to a close. He's wanted to play for years but never really decided to commit to it. We knew going in what a time commitment it was which is one reason why I was so hesitant to let him do it (that and the risk of my little baby Drewdles getting hurt--sorry Drew). We gave in this year. 5 days per week of practice, even when he started playing games each week, and throw in the homework load of a 7th grader, and let's just say it was a rough start. For the kid who has excelled in every sport he had tried, football the was the first tough challenge for him. I see this as a good and bad thing. Drew is one determined guy--when he wants something, he works his butt off to accomplish it, no matter what it is. To see him feeling so upset and defeated in the beginning about killed Todd and I. Even though our hearts wanted to let him skip practices or give up, we knew he wouldn't learn anything from that. He had to finish the season out for his team and honor his commitment. I can honestly say that I think he is happy he did. He never complains about practice anymore, he is enjoying the games, and is having fun with his teammates. Will he play next year? He is still undecided. :) The time comittment is really hard and I understand that. We'll see when next year comes. But for now, I am so proud of him for sticking with it, working hard, and reaping the benefits of his hard work.

For one, isn't he so handsome in his football uniform?
Two, after each game a kid is given one of these horseshoes for being the Player of the Game. (His team is the Colts) Drew received one after one of his games early in the season for his awesome tackles. We were so proud of him and you could tell he was so proud to have earned it and that the coaches noticed how hard he was working. It now has a special spot in his room.
Drew is #50
I know it's hard picking him out in these next 2 pictures but I swear he's in there. lol

I think this season of football was a learning experience for Drew, Todd and I. I've also learned a lot more about the game itself and thoroughly enjoy watching it. Go Colts!!


4 comments:

Grandma Paulette said...

Great year trying a new sport-hope you enjoyed football as much as we did watching you....see you Wed!

Aunt Cindy said...

It was so fun getting to watch Drew play and to hear his name announced after a tackle was the best of all. Congrats on a great season Drew, and on your well earned award...you really did 'own' the game that day!(and your mom is right--you look amazing in your uniform :-)

Kat said...

I know just what you mean. Though Joey is a few years younger, he was in football this year and had practice a couple times a week and then a game too. It seemed like a lot. We never want to overwhelm our kids with schedules, but when he said he didn't want to do it anymore we made him finish out the season too. And yes, he was super glad he didn't quit. Good lessons learned but it was tough for a while.

Drew looks so grown up in his uniform. Such a handsome kiddo. Way to be determined and stick it out, Drew! :)

Nicole said...

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. You have a beautiful family. I secretly hope my boys wont want to play football, but with three boys I'm sure one of them will.
I'll quit complaining about having soccer once a week!